HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Jun 05 2013

Continued update on Hunter….

Hi everyone,

I spoke with Hunter’s oncologist last night and she felt that his critical symptoms called for a vet visit ASAP!

He has a rapid heart rate, is coughing more often, acts very arthritic, and has thickening of his joints.  I also felt a fluttering in his chest on Sunday morning.

I was able to get into his holistic vet’s office for their first tech appointment this morning.  He had (the dreaded!) chest xrays taken and a blood test for his heart.

Hunter  Hunter at the vet’s office.

It has been exactly 6 months since his last chest xrays.  Back then, on December 5th, they confirmed one small lung tumor, with a second one possible.  I would tell everyone that the tumor was about the size of a M&M peanut candy.

Unfortunately those lung mets grew!  I was actually shocked to see how much they grew.   Looking at the top view of one of the xrays, his largest lung tumor now looks to be about two-thirds the size of his heart.  It’s no wonder Hunter is feeling so poorly!

top view

Copy of side view

In the 1st photo – the large spot to the right of his heart is the lung tumor

In the 2nd photo – the spots to the left of his heart are lung tumors

In addition to this large lung tumor, the doctor also noted several “coin sized” tumors present throughout his chest cavity along with what looks like fluid on his heart.  She put him on 10 mg. of prednisone – 2 pills 2Xday for 5 days and then 2 pills 1Xday indefinitely.

We’ll know if he needs another medication, possibly a diuretic, after the blood test for his heart comes back in 3-4 days.

For now, we are just hoping to keep Hunter happy and comfortable.  His doctor said that with using the prednisone we should “have about a month” with Hunter gaining his energy back and losing the cough.  After that, his health will probably decline again, and we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.   She will be there for us when that day comes.

We will try to listen to all of you and live each day as it comes, just like Hunter does.  We will be thankful for each and every moment with him.  Thank you all for your advice and your especially kind words.  This Tripawd community has been so good for us, and in turn, I hope Hunter’s journey has helped others during their own difficult journey.

Hug your furrbabies everyone!

7 Responses to “Continued update on Hunter….”

1.   Dakota Dawgon 05 Jun 2013 at 5:00 pm     Reply1

I know x-rays are a dreaded event much of the time, but these have helped you to understand why Hunter feels the way he does. And of course you can treat things and make him feel better!

I will hope that Hunter improves rapidly and feels much better and has many more days to be with you. And if anything changes, you know how many strong shoulders are here to lean on.

Shari

2.   fourminipupson 05 Jun 2013 at 5:50 pm     Reply2

Hunter is truly a super dog and so brave to be handling this the way he is. Thinking of you and enjoy the many memories you will be making now and in the future.

Luanne & Shooter

3.   maximutton 05 Jun 2013 at 6:11 pm     Reply3

We’ll be keeping your brave, strong boy in our thoughts and prayers. Please let him know the whole Tripawds Nation is thinking about him.

4.   benny55on 06 Jun 2013 at 12:31 am     Reply4

Ya know Hunter, your photo….the one that really matters–not those old lung photos……….is a picture of a really fit looking dog with a very strong persona shining through. Prednisone can really be a good “drug” for certain situations. And this will definitely help you maintain your Super Dog powers!

Gosh, I wish I could remember…it may have been Karen with Maggie…but whoever it was —-their vet told them their dog only had a short time to live……and the dog FAR exceeded the “statistic”. She said she wasted so much time watching the clock tick by at first (and I’m really paraphrasing) that she wasted a lot of valuable time e joying the present.

We are all throwing our clocks out the window right now son you and Hunter can continue the joy of living, loving and being blissfully happy just being together:-) 🙂

We all love you so much!

Sally and Happy Hannah

5.   labsruson 06 Jun 2013 at 3:41 pm     Reply5

Thank you everyone. By the time I got home last night, Hunter had the wag back in his tail! 2 prednisone, that’s all it took, to rally our Super Dog… just amazing. The first thing I noticed when he greeted me was that he did his nervous/happy scratch of his neck with his right rear leg.. a phantom scratch since that was the leg that he had amputated. He hasn’t done that in weeks! Today he looks brighter and is wagging his tail.

6.   princesson 06 Jun 2013 at 11:48 pm     Reply6

You are often in my thoughts. I know you will keep doing your best to live each day in the moment (and I know that isn’t always easy to do). Hunter is most definitely a super hero and so are you!

Karen and Spirit Magnum

7.   Charley's Momon 12 Jun 2013 at 9:01 pm     Reply7

Oh no! I haven’t been on Tripawds lately and I just saw this. I just commented on his “Tripawd Tuesday” post and thought I’d come over here and say hi. Sorry I missed Hunter’s milestone too….Happy Belated 1 Year Ampuversary!

Hunter is a Super Dog and our hero and we are sending LOTS and LOTS of positive thoughts and prayers to Hunter!!! Wishing you a very Happy early 10th Birthday Hunter! We love you!

Love, Hugs, and chocolate Labby kisses,