HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » FACEBOOK » TWITTER » RANDOM BLOG

Jul 24 2014

1 Year as Super Dog Angel Hunter

I’ve been preparing this post for quite a while.  Our 1 year anniversary without Hunter has been on my mind.  I wanted to post something special today….

One Year has passed since our beloved Hunter left us for the Rainbow Bridge.

We now call him Super Dog Angel Hunter.  His 14 month journey as a tripawd definitely earned him his “Super Dog” title and he keeps it to this day, we just added “Angel” because he now has his wings.

Not a day goes by that we don’t think of him.  We appreciate the luck he sends our way.  We notice each extra shiny penny that he sends us from Heaven.  We try not to compare him to our other two labs.  They all are unique but no dog will ever be the same as our Hunter.

No dog will ever replace him.  Hunter was my husband’s heart dog.

We made a special memorial garden for him at our campsite in Door County, Wisconsin.  We put some of his ashes in a small container and buried the container under a Guardian Angel statue.  A flowering red begonia blooms brightly nearby symbolizing our love.  Hunter had camped with us many times at that campground, and it was there that we first saw his limp that got us to our vet, and then to our surgeon, and then on to his tripawd journey.

P1140299a

I’m sure many of you remember quite clearly your diagnosis day.  I can still see that moment in my mind.  How I felt.  What my questions were.  We were in shock and just devastated.  It was the worst day of our lives until our last day with Hunter, that became the worst.

But, with the help of the tripawd community, and through the support of family, friends, and many vets, we had some really good times with Hunter as a tripawd.

We are so grateful for all of those moments and memories.  Hunter was a great tripawd warrior.  He was strong and confident through it all!

We are truly given a gift in the love of our dogs.  They love us unconditionally and trust in us to do our very best for them.  Many of us give them the world.  To us, they are our furry children.  And I’m sure many of you, even those with children, feel this way too.  We always told Hunter that we would do everything in our power for him, and we did that and beyond.  With knowledgeable vets, and the help of pet insurance, there is so much that we can offer our furry family members.

Please hug your pets today.  And give an upward smile and nod to those pets that you have lost as well.  Know that they are watching over you as our Hunter is watching over us and your tripawds as well, here and at the Rainbow Bridge.

Love,

Super Dog Angel Hunter’s Mom

Here is Hunter in his prime on a beach in Door County…

croppped Hunter

We are so comforted by having our two labs, Hailey (8 in September) and Harley (2 in December).  They keep us enjoying life!

Harley and Hailey in DC

(Harley and Hailey enjoying a beautiful day in Door County)

Here is our young Harley showing his love for my husband Scott at our campsite….

Harley and Scott

A Dog’s Love is Good for the Soul!

15 Responses to “1 Year as Super Dog Angel Hunter”

1.   Tucker1100on 24 Jul 2014 at 11:03 am     Reply1

What a beautiful tribute to Hunter! Thanks for sharing.

2.   benny55on 24 Jul 2014 at 12:45 pm     Reply2

ALWAYS OUR SUPER DOG HERO…ALWAYS! Hunter defines SUPER DOG!

One year just doesn’t seem possible. Julie and Scott, I KNOW it still hurts soooo much and the void and the ache are still there. Super Dog Hunter made sure Harley and Hailey would keep you plenty busy though.

Lovely tribute…lovely photos…all of them. Yes, a dog’s love is good for the soul. I also believe it makes a permanent home in our soul and their love is with us through eternity.

I love the little memorial garden with the Guardian Angel…..just lovely absolutely lovely.

I’ll always remember Super Dog Hunter in his super dog outfit just wearing it like a badge of honor…so.proudly…so confidently…and so joyfully!!!

Such a loved dog by everyone who had the privilege of knowing him!! I KNOW he will continue to inspire.and touch lives forever! He sure touched mine and he sure inspired Happy Hannah and myself.

Give that wonderful tattoo on Scott’s arm a big ole’ smooch for me, okay? And new people are wondering what the heck’s up with kissing Scott’s arm?!

Sending love and lots and lots of hugs!

Sally and Happy Hannah and My Pal Merry Myrtle too! (Did you see my post where Happy Hannah sent me Myrtle?)

3.   benny55on 24 Jul 2014 at 12:47 pm     Reply3

4.   benny55on 24 Jul 2014 at 12:53 pm     Reply4

Geez, I’m trying to post a little “card” I made for you…doesn’t seem to be working…..let me try again…..

5.   benny55on 24 Jul 2014 at 12:55 pm     Reply5

6.   labsruson 24 Jul 2014 at 1:08 pm     Reply6

Thank you to the both of you.

Sally…. I didn’t see a post about Myrtle. Did you rescue that Mastiff that we talked about a while ago? Do you have another doggy in your life?

7.   jerryon 24 Jul 2014 at 3:23 pm     Reply7

My eyes are filled with tears, thinking of you and Super Dog Angel Hunter, our hero, forever. These milestones are hard, how I know what it feels like to look back on a year, it just takes your breath away doesn’t it? Even now, almost 6 years after Jerry’s passing, I’m astounded at how quickly it’s flown, and yet how many gifts he continues to send our way. Dogs are incredible teachers.

Never forget that nothing, not time, not cancer, nothing, can ever rob you of all of the incredible joy and fun you shared with your most awesomest dog ever. A year may pass but his love stays with you for your whole life. What a gift.

Lots of love & hugs coming your way today, and always. May Hunter guide our heroes for all time. xoxo

8.   labsruson 24 Jul 2014 at 3:28 pm     Reply8

Thank you Jerry for your beautiful words. Yes, time does fly by. It doesn’t feel like a year has passed at all. I can still see him hopping ahead of me on our walks and his big silly head tilt when we would ask him a question. We are having happy meals in his honor tonight. He would get one on every Birthday.

9.   Michelleon 24 Jul 2014 at 8:34 pm     Reply9

A year already. I know that yours was one of the first leading up to last year’s awful August. Super dog Angel Hunter is always looking out for you. I love your memorial garden for him. The pictures are just so beautiful. Celebrate and remember. I know we won’t ever forget him

Hugs
    Michelle & Angel Sassy

10.   maximutton 24 Jul 2014 at 10:47 pm     Reply10

Super Dog Hunter was a special boy. He loved his family, and his family loved him. He fought a very brave battle so that he could spend as much time with his family as possible, although everyone here knows that even forever wouldn’t have been long enough. Thank you so much for sharing him with us.

11.   Linda Morriceon 25 Jul 2014 at 3:59 am     Reply11

Thanks for the beautiful post and the reminder to hug our pups while we can.

Hugs

Linda and Tucker

12.   leland4on 25 Jul 2014 at 10:05 am     Reply12

What a beautiful tribute to Super Dog Angel Hunter. I LOVED the Memorial Site where you laid some of his ashes to rest. I had to let my Leland go 6/30/14 and like you my husband and I are doing a memorial for him. My husband built a casket (he’s very handy) for Leland and we laid him to rest next to our front flower bed under the shade of a Dogwood tree. We’re just waiting for his granite headstone to arrive to finish it and put out the grass seed.

I enjoyed seeing the picture of Hunter during his healthier days…he was a handsome boy. And the picture of Harley with your husband touched my heart. Our furbabies are so special and I couldn’t agree more that “a dog’s love is good for the soul.”

Sahana and her Angel Leland

13.   labsruson 25 Jul 2014 at 11:12 am     Reply13

Thank you everyone. A Special dog is just that, very Special. They leave their paw prints on our hearts and never really leave us.

The memorial you are doing for Angel Leland is so very special Sahana. You will have to share a picture or two when it is finished.

May we all find happiness in the ones we love here on Earth.
    Until we can all meet again.