HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » FACEBOOK » TWITTER » RANDOM BLOG

Jul 24 2013

Super Dog is running free

It with an extremely heavy heart and through tears that I am writing this post.  Super Dog, Hunter, our 1st dog together, is running free at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hunter wasn’t well since this past Monday.  He was weak and was vomiting occasionally.  Hubby was home with him for most of the day, not just to be home with Hunter, but to have a day off from the weekly routine.  We believed we had a few more weeks with him yet.  Hunter seemed fairly well when I left for work.  I even took some new photos of him on our driveway in the morning.

P1300117

But at 4:00 pm this afternoon hubby called me at work and said that Hunter wasn’t doing well at all.  He wasn’t moving and his eyes were almost shut.  He was very weak and working harder to breathe.  I called our holistic vet’s office and told them that we needed to come in.  It was a beautiful day to cross over the Rainbow Bridge, I knew that, but the sadness took over and I could only focus on the looming loss of our wonderful dog.  I knew we had done everything possible for him, but we wanted more time.

Hunter had to be carried out to the car and into the vet’s office.  All of the staff stayed late for us and comforted us and made our time there as best they could.  The compassion was heart felt.  Everyone who knew Hunter loved him.  He was the perfect example of why the Lord made labs.  We had never experienced that moment before, our families had shielded us from that growing up.  But we wouldn’t think of not being by his side when he earned his wings.  Hubby cradled him in his arms and I held his paw and we said goodbye and cried.

We took Hailey with us as this was her best friend.  We could only hope she understood that he was gone and didn’t look for him when we got home.  That would break our hearts again.  Our puppy really had no clue, but he only knew Hunter for about 6 months.

Later we went to McDonald’s and got 2 cheeseburger happy meals to go in Hunter’s honor.  That was what he would have wanted for his Birthday, and he missed his 10th Birthday by only 3 days.  But it’s not the amount of years that we had with him, it’s the amount of wonderful memories ~ the adventures, the fun moments, the pheasant hunts, the laughs, the labby kisses, and all of the stollen socks.  That’s what we need to hang on to now.

IMGP0107

This blog has been very therapeutic for me.  I can’t tell you how wonderful the support has been.  How it has pulled us through the ups and downs of this exhausting journey.  I started a blog for our new pup and will continue to write and share our experiences.

Hunter was born on July 27th, 2003 ~

Hunter earned his wings on July 24th, 2013 ~

Our best dog ever.

IMAG1764

(I made this paw print impression and photo frame exactly 4 weeks ago.  I’m so glad I did)

We love our labs Hailey and Harley,

but no other dog will ever be Super Dog.

Thank you to everyone.

Love, Hunter’s family.

24 Responses to “Super Dog is running free”

1.   Michelleon 24 Jul 2013 at 10:00 pm     Reply1

I am so sorry for your loss. Hunter you are great and an inspiration to everyone. You didn’t let cancer win. You fought the good fight. Run Free Buddy. I know this hurts but he will be celebrating his birthday with some great Warriors & Princess Warriors at the Bridge.
    Once apart of this community you will always be apart of it.

Once again, I am so sorry for your loss

Hugs
    Michelle & Sassy

2.   bentleyinoregonon 24 Jul 2013 at 10:15 pm     Reply2

I am so sorry. We have just started this journey with our 10 year old dog, Bentley. He had his left front leg amputated on Monday, 7/22 and came home today. I cannot begin to imagine how you are feeling. I am so sorry 🙁

3.   benny55on 24 Jul 2013 at 11:14 pm     Reply3

Something made me check the forum just ne more time tonight….and cleary this

4.   benny55on 24 Jul 2013 at 11:58 pm     Reply4

and cleary rhis is why.

When I say we cry with you, we do. This is so sad. Hunter just reached out and touched our hearts.

As I read this trough my tears trying to grasp everything, it stood out how Hnter did this on HIS terms. He didn’t let that horrid disease rob him of one ounce of his Labrador Super Dog dignity. No sir! To think that picture was taken of him this morning–unbelieveable! That mug still has hapiness in it—-he’s still posng as the proud Super Dog Hero that he is!

IF it had to happen, you had about as good a “cross-over” as one could hope for. No real pain….being “uncomfortable” isn’t pain. Home up til the very last….surrounded by love. And it’s not just “happenstance” that your husband was home today. It was Hunter’s plan I’m sure! He had you, your husband and Hailey. F we can all enter this world surrounded by love and exit this world surrounded by love—the in-between stuff doesn’t really matter.

Hunter knew he could count on you that, when he let you know it was time—–and he did—-you would give him the most loving gift of all. Your love and devotiion for him, and his love and devotion for you, can never be severed. You will always be connected…always.

Hunter IS Super Dog! Super Dog Hunter is invincible and his presence is always with you!

This keyboard keeps disappearing and there’s so much more I want to say so I may have to co tinue tomorrow.

Would that be something Hunter would do…screw up my keyboard and think that was funny? Did he ever bug you while you were on the computer? Hmmmm, just wondering.

Goodness knows he has surrounded yo with a zillion wonderful loving memories to make you know he’s still close. You’ll probably be finding your missing socks off and on for years! Yeah, that will be Hunter saying “hello”:-)
    He’s gonna make sure you kow he’s still around,

I wish I could hug you all but computers don’t work that way.
    You were one of the first ones to ask Happy Hannah and I to be friends and I remembered our honored we felt. Hunter is a very special soul who touched and inspired us all. When a dog lives a life of such deep meanng…that’s one special dog…a Super Hero Dog.

Thank you Hunter for letting us be in your circle of friends. We are honored.

Going to get Hannah a burger Saturday. We’ll be celebrating the birth of a special boy with a special purpose. Well done Hunter, well done.

Surrounding you with Hunter’s love and brilliant light,

Sally and Happy Hannah

5.   princesson 25 Jul 2013 at 12:47 am     Reply5

Oh boy. I have been dreading this day. I am so very sorry. No matter how much time we have with them it is never enough. I’m glad you got to be with Hunter as he crossed to the bridge, that he got to be surrounded by his loved ones as he earned his wings.

I know nothing can take away the terrible pain you are feeling right now but with time you will be able to focus on the good memories, the wonderful life you had together. Meanwhile, many many hugs to you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen and Spirit Magnum

6.   jerryon 25 Jul 2013 at 7:39 am     Reply6

My heart just broke into pieces today. Guys, I am so, so sorry. This is the absolute hardest part of life as a pack, of giving your heart to a dog and knowing that someday it will shatter when you part ways. Please know you are in our thoughts today and always.

Hunter is, and always will be, a shining example of living life to the fullest, of not letting anything get you down and giving everything your 110%. The way all of you handled the cancer ordeal was courageous, something we will always remember, and refer new members to as they embark on their own journey.

On behalf of our entire pack, we send lots of love and condolences out to you. May Hunter’s spirit shine on in your hearts and souls forever.

7.   kathylon 25 Jul 2013 at 8:04 am     Reply7

Scott and Julie, I am so sorry. It seems just yesterday that you began Hunter’s blog and his journey with cancer. How can 14 months seem like yesterday? I know Harley has greeted Hunter and finally got to meet Super Dog! I look out the windows at the beautiful blue skies this morning knowing our boys are running — happy and finally cancer free. Love and Hugs.
    Kathy and Spirit Harley

8.   maggieon 25 Jul 2013 at 8:14 am     Reply8

Hugs to you and your family. I’m at a loss for words through the tears for you right now 🙁
    RIP Superdog.

Tracy & Maggie

9.   Andreaon 25 Jul 2013 at 8:31 am     Reply9

Today is the one month anniversary of our sweet boys death. We are still grieving. Know that our Arlie and your Hunter are running free on that rainbow bridge in no pain from their cancer.

10.   Dakota Dawgon 25 Jul 2013 at 8:42 am     Reply10

I’ve really enjoyed reading Hunter’s adventures. I’m so sorry they’ve come to an end here, but his biggest adventure is just beginning.

I’m so glad you were able to have someone monitoring Hunter yesterday, someone who knows him and all his signs and signals. By doing that, Hunter wasn’t made to linger and be in distress. Even though it may not feel like it, you gave each other a gift. You had the gift of knowing when it was time and Hunter the gift of helping him leave.

Thank you for your wonderful blog and posts and for a heart full of love for Hunter.

Shari

11.   fourminipupson 25 Jul 2013 at 12:44 pm     Reply11

I am so sorry, but joyous that Hunter is running pain free and happy over the Bridge. He was an inspiration for all of us to keep on fighting the fight and do so with a happy dog’s attitude.

Keep your memories close to your heart to help you through this time and to give you a smile now and then.

All my thoughts are with you.

Luanne and Shooter

12.   rizzobeanson 25 Jul 2013 at 2:47 pm     Reply12

Oh no! HUNTER!! We can remember the day we “friended” you guys. He sure gave cancer a tough fight. I HATE CANCER!!!!! Such a sweet boy and you just did the most unselfish and loving thing for him. He is not hurting anymore and is whole again. I know it still hurts and cuts deep….your boy will be waiting for you. God love him!

Rizzo says hello and sends a kissy your way and hopes that helps you feel better.

All our Best at this tough time,
    RIZZO and Suzie

13.   BarretsMomHeatheron 26 Jul 2013 at 8:43 am     Reply13

I’m just catching up on blogs today and I read this with a heavy heart and through tears of my own. I’m so sorry you lost your super dog. He was lucky to have you.
    -Heather and Barret

14.   Charley's Momon 26 Jul 2013 at 3:09 pm     Reply14

Tears are falling and my heart is heavy…I am so very sorry that it was Hunter’s time to make his journey to Rainbow Bridge.

Hunter fought a courageous fight and it is important to always remember that the cancer did not win….the balance between his spirit and body tipped in favor of his spirit, and you were the chosen one to set him free.

In time, may memories of your sweet boy bring you smiles and happy memories.

Godspeed sweet Hunter. Run free with all of the heroes that have gone before you, run free…. Please send your mommy pennies so she knows that you arrived safely.

Love, hugs, and chocolate Labby kisses,
    Ellen and Charley

15.   benny55on 27 Jul 2013 at 12:00 pm     Reply15

I don’t know if you are still checking this blog.

I just wanted to say I know what today is and we’re gonna get a bucket of burgers to honor Super Dog Hunter’s birth!

The Angels were rejoicing the day they sent him to earth.

The Angels rejoiced when he came back to be with them! They were praising him for such a job well done! Exquisitely well done!

Happy Birthday Hunter! We all love you and you are forever in our hearts!

Sally and Happy Hannan

16.   jerryon 27 Jul 2013 at 1:31 pm     Reply16

Happy birthday Angel Hunter, we know you’re having a ball with our Tripawd angels in heaven. xoxo

17.   maximutton 28 Jul 2013 at 1:16 pm     Reply17

Julie & Scott, I am so sorry to hear this sad news about Hunter. I had been off Tripawds for a couple days, and missed your post. Hunter was such a brave, strong boy. The love you two felt for him came through each and every blog post. And Hunter’s love for you was so evident in every single photo of him. You could see it in his face, in his eyes, in his body. Hunter’s courageous battle against this disease will not be forgotten, nor will he. I know how difficult it is when family members leave. Stay strong for Hailey and Harley, they will help get you through this. Hunter was a dog’s dog. I hope he and Max meet up at the Bridge, because I think they’d have a great time together. Sending healing thoughts to you.

18.   penny4weimson 28 Jul 2013 at 10:47 pm     Reply18

Hunter’s people,
    So sorry to hear about Hunter. I don’t read this everyday so I’m always a little late on my responses. I believe Hunter and my Maggie are out hunting quail and catching every one. And no people to give them to so they get to gulp them up. Take Care.
    Penny, Blink and Maggie Over Yonder

19.   bruiserbrunoon 24 Feb 2014 at 8:32 pm     Reply19

So sorry to hear that you had to let him go. Run free hunter. You will forever be in the hearts and on the minds of those you knew and loved you
    Maricela and spirit Bruno