HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Jun 04 2013

Update on Hunter

Super Dog needs to find his Super Strength one more time.  We could use your prayers and well wishes right now.

I know we just had a very postitive and celebritory post about his 1 year ampuversary, but apparently health changes can happen really fast.

P1250630

His lung mets are causing him problems, zapping his strength, and causing him to cough more frequently.  He has coughed up blood 3 times in the past 3 weeks.  His heart rate is rapid and his breathing seems more shallow.  He is down to 68 pounds from 70 pounds and he looks really thin and hunched up.

We saw his holistic vet this past Saturday.  She put Hunter on 3 different types of herbs for his lungs and 2 essential oils to diffuse and gave us cough suppressant pills.  She took him off of the antibiotics.  Said that if he is still coughing up blood it’s not working, plus it is causing him to feel run down.

I told her how we needed more time with Hunter, like at least 5 more months.  Not only do we love him and want him in our lives, we need him home for Hailey when the pup goes away for training.  She said that seems long.  She said it would be a miracle if he stayed with us all year.  With him coughing up blood, that’s definitely the start of his decline.  Sunday he just laid around and he was shivering a bit early that morning. We feel so bad for him.

The vet said it’s all about quality of life now.  Hubby took him for a walk Sunday night just to get him moving and he didn’t want to stop or turn around so I had to go and get him with the car.  I was afraid a really long walk would be too much for him.

He needs help to get up on the couch now and even has trouble with our 6″ entry steps if his balance is in jeopardy.  And it sure doesn’t help when the puppy rushes by him!

It was a very sad day at our house on Sunday.

Yesterday Hunter just about ran outside to the backyard to pee.  But I gave him his cough medicine that morning and by the time I left for work he was coughing again.  He’s been a little brighter since Sunday, but his balance and stability still aren’t great and his joints look larger to us.  Maybe that’s just because he is thinner.

Here’s a photo of him last night…. he just went outside and laid in the grass and didn’t want to move or come in.

P1250641 We’re thinking that going on prednisone may be his next step.  I am calling his oncologist today.  So please keep Hunter in your prayers.  We are hoping that Super Dog will rally once again but we are trying to be realistic about the truth of the situation.

11 Responses to “Update on Hunter”

1.   maximutton 04 Jun 2013 at 9:20 am     Reply1

I’m sorry to hear this about your boy. But you are right: when you are battling cancer, health changes can come very quickly. Our Max was as perfect example of that; his started coughing on a Friday night, and by that Sunday, we made the decision to let him go. I can’t offer too much advice right now; you and your husband will do what is right for your strong boy. But I will say this: try not to think too much ahead into the future. Don’t worry about 5 hours, 5 days, 5 weeks, or 5 months. Just take things day to day. That is really all you can do, and that is what Hunter is doing. Please know that I am sending all my thoughts and prayers to your boy. Stay strong!

2.   benny55on 04 Jun 2013 at 10:23 am     Reply2

First of all, those photos of your sweet boy always make me smile no matter what! I love the one where he’s laying content deadly on the grass and looking up at the camera. Sweet, so sweet.

Hunter is clearly having some good quality….maybe not always constent, but more good than not. He’s still SUPER DOG, just has to factor in that he is also getting a little older too! We tripawds love all of the quirks that come with aging…..aging is such a good thing around here.

This stuff affects every dog differently and, as you know and paraphrasing Maxi mutt, don’t worry about time frames (easier said than done) but do focus on thehere and now with your boy! Hunter is with yyou here and ow and that is all that matters! The new herbs along with the pred. Should help also.,

You KNOW we are all here for you and sending you and Hunter all sorts of tripawd extra strength healing powers designed especially for SUPER DOGS! It also helps keeping you focused on the present…..pretty special stuff, huh?

Of course, as you know, Hunter is focused on the moment and knows he’s being loved every second and that makes his tail wag! Let NOTHING rob you of this wonderful time together.

Give him some hugs and cuddles AND treats from all of us…….and save a reallybig hug for yourself……yeah, that one….good choice!

Sending you ssuper size buckets of love,

Sally and Happy Hannah

3.   Dakota Dawgon 04 Jun 2013 at 10:27 am     Reply3

Things can turn on a dime, unfortunately. Hunter has had an amazing year. Your vet is so right that quality is the trump card. Quantity is of little use if the quality’s crappy. I’m so sorry that his quality of life is not where it was so recently, and I’m sorry you are having to make hard choices. We want as much time as possible, and sometimes we just don’t get it.

Let Hunter lead you. He will guide you and let you know when he’s had enough. Listen to him and you will make only good choices. Do it from love and you can’t go wrong.

Shari

4.   zeuspodon 04 Jun 2013 at 10:48 am     Reply4

I, too, am so very sorry to hear about this turn. The others are right – don’t worry about the time you hope to have with him, just make sure that you cherish the time that you do have with him. Make sure you have no regrets.

I will tell you that, when the cancer spread in Zeus (it went to his liver/spleen/abdomen) we did use Pred and it worked wonders for him for about a month. He would still get tired quickly but the breathing improved greatly. We saw very little side effects except extreme hunger. I don’t know if it works the same way for the lungs, but I wish you the very best and I hope you get some more good quality time with Hunter. He is beautiful.
    Lisa

5.   fourminipupson 04 Jun 2013 at 11:44 am     Reply5

Sending Hunter and you our most positive thoughts. What a strong and brave boy you are. Enjoy each moment with him and hold it in your special memory place.

6.   Christineon 04 Jun 2013 at 1:33 pm     Reply6

I’m sorry to hear about Hunter… I have just re-lived every day, hour, minute and second reading your post as I went through the exact same thing with my sweet boy Franklin. I wish I could wave a magic wand and give every Tripawd extra time.. especially mine. It’s all about their comfort and quality day by day now. Take each day and love him to bits. My Franklin was the same way… wheezing after he took 3-4 hops… coughing.. and we made him comfy and loved him up…. and did not let him go farther than he wanted to….
    Go scratch Hunter’s head for me.. he looks like he loves a good scratch!!

7.   Kozmo Kareson 04 Jun 2013 at 2:26 pm     Reply7

Sending many prayers and good wishes for more time with your sweet Hunter. Take it one day at a time and treasure every second. xoxoxo

8.   jesskon 04 Jun 2013 at 6:02 pm     Reply8

Oh, dear Hunter. What a sweet face you have. Sending strength not just for Hunter, but his dog and human family as well.

9.   jerryon 04 Jun 2013 at 9:51 pm     Reply9

Oh guys I’m so sorry to hear this. We know all too well how fast things can change, but we hope with all our hearts that this can be brought under control and he can remain SUPERDOG for a long time. I do agree that pred might next on your list of things to try, please let us know what your vet says OK?

Many, many hugs coming your way. Please visit us in the Forums and chat when you feel like it OK? We are here for you.

10.   Charley's Momon 12 Jun 2013 at 9:04 pm     Reply10

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers to Hunter and all of you for more time and happy days together.

Hunter, you will always be out Super Dog! 🙂