HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » YOUR PRIVACY » RANDOM BLOG

Jun 07 2012

Update ~ 6/7/2012

Well it is now 1 week after Hunter’s tripawd surgery.  He just started licking his incision site last night, so it’s off to the vet for the dreaded “cone of shame”!  I knew it had to be done.  The technicians said it would be bad if he took his sutures out.  And… as long as there are treats around Hunter will tolerate just about anything.

Hunter’s next big appointment is Wednesday, June 13th.  He will have his sutures out and have his 1st chemotherapy treatment.  His oncologist told us that she will check his white blood cell count at 7 days, 14 days, and 21 days after the treatment to see when it drops.  Then she’ll know more about his next treatment.  She doesn’t want him too far away from a good vet for a couple of months.  I’m optomistic that we’ll be able to get away for Labor Day weekend ~ sure we ALL will need some time off from all of this stress.  Planning on being in a cabin on a lake in beautiful Up North Wisconsin for a few nights.

We are praying that Hunter’s 1st chemotherapy treatment is tolerated well.  So far, we have a pretty happy dog on three legs.

Cone 1  Cone 2

“cone of shame”                      “treats please!”

8 Responses to “Update ~ 6/7/2012”

1.   etgayleon 07 Jun 2012 at 1:22 pm     Reply1

oh hunter…it’s so hard not to lick at those sutures!!!! maybe your mom can put a pair of little boy’s boxer shorts on your but (tail thru the fly) and you will leave the incision alone for a while?? otherwise, the cone is a good look, and it’s not forever. glad you are still smiling and loving the treats!!

charon & spirit gayle

•   labsruson 07 Jun 2012 at 3:02 pm     Reply2

I wish I had thought of that! If he’s too depressed with the cone, we’ll try that next. Thank you.

2.   zeuspodon 07 Jun 2012 at 1:27 pm     Reply3

Awww, Hunter, the stitches are just evil. But they are a necessary evil so try to restrain yourself! Glad to hear things are well otherwise!

3.   lupedog28on 07 Jun 2012 at 2:25 pm     Reply4

Oh the dreaded cone of shame…always makes me think of the movie “Better of Dead”.

Hoping that Hunter continues to improve and fingers crossed you get the Labor Day vacation!!!

-Kori & Lupe

4.   AngelAbbysMomon 07 Jun 2012 at 4:49 pm     Reply5

Oh Hunter, you wear that like it’s the Cone of Happiness! You make that thing look good! Hope it works well for you as a treat backboard.

Our dog did well with her chemo. Just know it has a cumulative effect – I didn’t know that when we were doing it, and when we got to her 5th treatment and she was so exhausted that she flopped down in the middle of the street on our normal walk, I kinda had a little meltdown. I thought it was the cancer coming back with a vengeance, but it was just the cumulative effect of the chemo making her tired. I like to make sure folks know that, so they don’t have a mini meltdown like I did. 🙂

Keep us posted!
    Jackie, Angel Abby’s mom

•   labsruson 07 Jun 2012 at 6:27 pm     Reply6

Thank you, I will try to remember that and give him time to rebound from his treatments. It’s going to be a lonnnnng summer.